Section 4(f)/Section 6(f)
The following links provide access to Section 4(f) guidance documents, research materials, checklists, and examples from state DOTs and federal DOT agencies. If you would like to suggest additional research, documents, or reports on this topic, please submit a short description to AASHTO (including any pertinent links) on the Share Info with AASHTO form.
Federal Highway Administration
- FHWA Resources
- FHWA’s Environmental Review Toolkit Section 4(f) Program Overview
- Guidance on Section 4(f) Exception for Federal Lands Transportation Facilities, Federal Highway Administration (Nov. 20, 2012). This document provides guidance on an exception from Section 4(f) approval for federal lands transportation facilities provided under the federal transportation legislation Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21).
- Section 4(f) Policy Paper, Federal Highway Administration (Revised July 20, 2012). This policy paper, which was originally released in 1987, has been revised to incorporate changes under the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) and FHWA’s 2008 Section 4(f) final rule. The document provides an overview of the Section 4(f) regulations, including changes related to de minimis impact determinations, feasible and prudent avoidance alternatives, and alternatives with least overall harm. The policy paper also features questions and answers regarding Section 4(f) applicability and compliance.
- A Five Minute Look at Section 4(f), FHWA
- Applying the Section 4(f) exemption for the Interstate Highway System –- FHWA Memo and Question and Answer Guidance, Jan. 13, 2006
- FHWA Technical Advisory – Guidance for Preparing and Processing Environmental and Section 4(f) documents – October 30, 1987
[back to top]