Section 4(f)/Section 6(f)
The Section 4(f)/Section 6(f) topic describes a range of programs, policies, case studies, resources, and tools related to meeting requirements under Section 4(f) of the U.S. DOT Act related to the use of publicly owned land of a public park, recreation area, or wildlife and waterfowl refuge, or land from an historic site; and Section 6(f) of the Land and Water Conservation Fund Act related to conversion of LCWF lands to uses other than public outdoor recreation.
View Full Listing of Recent Developments >
Subscribe to Website Updates for this topic >
- FHWA Resources
- FHWA’s Environmental Review Toolkit Section 4(f) Program Overview
- Guidance on Section 4(f) Exception for Federal Lands Transportation Facilities, Federal Highway Administration (Nov. 20, 2012). This document provides guidance on an exception from Section 4(f) approval for federal lands transportation facilities provided under the federal transportation legislation Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21).
- Section 4(f) Policy Paper, Federal Highway Administration (Revised July 20, 2012). This policy paper, which was originally released in 1987, has been revised to incorporate changes under the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) and FHWA’s 2008 Section 4(f) final rule. The document provides an overview of the Section 4(f) regulations, including changes related to de minimis impact determinations, feasible and prudent avoidance alternatives, and alternatives with least overall harm. The policy paper also features questions and answers regarding Section 4(f) applicability and compliance.
- A Five Minute Look at Section 4(f), FHWA
- Applying the Section 4(f) exemption for the Interstate Highway System –- FHWA Memo and Question and Answer Guidance, Jan. 13, 2006
- FHWA Technical Advisory – Guidance for Preparing and Processing Environmental and Section 4(f) documents – October 30, 1987
- FAST Act Section 1301: Satisfaction of Requirements for Certain Historic Sites
View Full Listing of Key Resources >