A Synthesis of Best Practices in the Controlled Burial of Significant Archaeological Sites in Transportation Projects
Historic Preservation/Cultural Resources
Community & Cultural Concerns
Under 1 year
Research Idea Scope
- What research literature is currently available concerning the practice of controlled archaeological burial on an international basis regardless of transportation application?
- How often has the practice of controlled archaeological burial been employed in transportation projects, and under what circumstances?
- Has the practice been considered acceptable by historic preservation agencies?
- Was consideration given to the potential compaction of archaeological deposits under highway fill? If so, what actions were taken to offset compaction? Was the degree of compaction measured?
- What special materials (e.g. geotextile fabric) or specifications were used in the implementation of the practice?
- Is the practice cost-effective relative to the archaeological data recovery?
- What actions or considerations are necessary to document that a significant archaeological site is present beneath highway fill and to assure its long-term protection?
Urgency and Payoff
The research will be effective if it allows transportation projects to move forward more quickly and with less expense while preserving significant archaeological sites intact under controlled burial conditions.
TRB Research Needs Database, ADC50, Historic and Archeological Preservation in Transportation