Best practices for establishing tribal monitoring protocols
Historic Preservation/Cultural Resources
Research Idea Scope
With the goal of having a more consistent national approach for tribal monitoring, issues to address include:
• Compensation for travel
• Amount of requests of tribes
• How many tribes can/should monitor?
• Engage NATHPO on this topic.
• Including tribal members and/or monitors who are also archeologists.
• Could also in general construction monitoring protocols.
• Examples could include:
Topic developed by TBR AME60 committee.
Urgency and Payoff
In order to address nationwide tribal concerns and issues of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion there needs to be standardized practices to ensure successful tribal engagement during the project delivery process and especially during construction in order to reduce risks to the project’s cost, scope and schedule.